Published Articles by Forrest S. Mosten
Selected Publications of Forrest S. Mosten (April 2017)
- Building a Successful Collaborative Practice (with Adam Cordover).
ABA Book Publishing (forthcoming 2017).
- Family Lawyer's Guide to Unbundling Legal Services (with Elizabeth Potter Scully).
ABA Book Publishing (forthcoming 2017).
- The Complete Guide to Mediation (with Elizabeth Potter Scully).
2nd ed. ABA Book Publishing (2015). Prior Edition, 1st: 1997
- Collaborative Divorce Handbook: Helping Families Without Going to Court.
- Mediation Career Guide: A Strategic Approach to Building a Successful Practice.
- Unbundling Legal Services: A Guide to Delivering Legal Services à la Carte.
American Bar Association, Law Practice Management Section (2000).
Articles and Chapters
- The Family Lawyer's Role in Preventive Legal and Conflict Wellness (with Lara Traum),
55 Family Court Review 26 (2017).
- It Takes a Village: Using Seniors to Help Divorcing Families (with Lara Traum),
17 Cardozo Journal of Conflict Resolution 767 (2016).
- Using Mediation Stories to Improve the Teaching of Conflict Resolution,
34 Cardozo Law Review 2455 (2013). Full Text
- Confidential Mini Child-custody Evaluations: Another ADR Option,
45 Family Law Quarterly 119 (2011).
- Collaborative Lawyers' Duties to Screen the Appropriateness of Collaborative Law and Obtain Clients' Informed Consent to Use Collaborative Law (with John Lande),
25 Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution 347 (2010).
- Lawyer as Peacemaker: Ethical and Innovative Practice Roles,
43(3) Family Law Quarterly 489 (2009).
- The Uniform Collaborative Law Act's Contribution To Informed Client Decision Making In Choosing A Dispute Resolution Process (with John Lande),
38 Hofstra Law Review 611 (2009).
- Collaborative Law Practice: An Unbundled Approach to Informed Client Decision Making,
2008 Journal of Dispute Resolution 163 (2008).
- Unbundling Legal Services to Help Divorcing Families, in Innovations in Family Law Practice
(edited by K. B. Olson and N. Ver Steegh, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, 2008).
- The Potential of the Family Law Education Reform Project for Family Lawyers,
45 Family Court Review 5 (2007).
- Institutionalization of Mediation,
42 Family Court Review 292 (2004).
- The Lawyer's Role During Agreement-Making,
11 American Journal of Family Law 13 (1997).
- Emerging Roles of the Family Lawyer: A Challenge for the Courts,
33 Family and Conciliation Court Review 213 (1995).
- Unbundling of Legal Services and the Family Lawyer,
28(3) Family Law Quarterly 421 (Fall 1994).
- Confidential Mini-Evaluation,
32 Family Court Review 373 (1992).
- The Role of the Therapist in the Co-Mediation of Divorce: An Exploration by a Lawyer-Therapist Team (with B. Biggs),
9 Journal of Divorce 27 (1985).
- Introduction of Special Issue on Client Counseling,
18 Creighton Law Review 1329 (1985).
Other Publications of Mr. Mosten include:
- Late Nights and Cancellation Rights: Bolstering Enforceability of Mediated Settlements with a Cooling Off Period (with Thomas Trent Lewis and Elizabeth Potter Scully),
38(1) Family Law News (2016).
- Unbundling Legal Services in 2014: Recommendations for the Courts,
53 Judges' Journal 10 (2014).
- Family Lawyering: Past, Present, and Future (with John Lande),
51 Family Court Review 20 (2013).
- Unbundled Legal Services Today – And Predictions for the Future,
35 Family Advocate 14 (2012).
- The Future of Collaborative Practice: A Vision for 2030,
49 Family Court Review 282 (2011).
- Guest Editor's Introduction,
49 Family Court Review 211 (2011).
- Confidentiality in Mediation,
31 California Lawyer 32 (2011).
- Before You Take a Collaborative Law Case: What the Ethical Rules Say about Conflicts of Interest, Client Screening, and Informed Consent,
33 Family Advocate 31 (2010).
- Representing Your Clients in Mediation: Effectively Setting Up a Mediation,
Los Angeles County Bar Association (2009).
- Collaborative Lawyers' Duties to Screen Cases for Appropriateness and Obtain Clients' Informed Consent (with John Lande),
28(2) AFCC News 6, 11 (2009).
- Introduction, 2009 ACResolution Magazine 3-5 (Spring 2009a). Special Issue.
- Marketing Our Practices,
2009 ACResolution Magazine 3-5 (Spring 2009b).
- Secrets to Successful Mediation Practice,
ABA Dispute Resolution Just Resolutions (Summer/Fall 2007). Parts 1, 2 and 3. ABA
- Where to Locate Your Mediation Practice,
ABA Dispute Resolution Just Resolutions (Spring 2007). Full Text
- The Path of the Peacemaker: A Mediator's Guide to Peacemaking,
5(1) ACResolution Magazine 8-11 (2006).
- Advanced Mediator Moves (with D. Mercer),
Association for Conflict Resolution Family Section News 6-11 (Fall 2006). ACR Family Section, Parts I and II.
- Intake Should Be Your Primary Marketing Strategy,
Just Resolutions 1, 3 (Jan. 2006). American Bar Association Dispute Resolution.
- Using Your Duty to Inform as a Marketing Tool,
ADR Report (Apr. 2001).
- Unbundling Legal Services: Servicing Clients Within Their Ability to Pay,
American Bar Association Judge's Journal 15 (Winter 2001).
- Peacemaking Can Be Your Day Job,
24(1/2) SPIDR Newsletter 1 (2000).
- Unbundled Legal Services in Mediation,
ADR Report (Nov. 1999).
- Unbundling Your Mediation Services,
3(25) ADR Report 3-6 (1999).
- Operating a Profitable Mediation Practice.
Mosten Mediation Training (1998a).
- Recent Developments in Mediation,
LACBA News and Review of Los Angeles County Bar Association Family Law Section 16-18 (Summer 1998b).
- Written Mediation Agreements and Settlement Stipulations,
DRS Newsletter (LA County Bar) 7-8 (Fall 1998c).
- Our Own Communication Is Important Too (with J. Kichaven),
Southern California Mediation Association News 4 (Nov. 1997).
- Eleven Questions Most Commonly Asked About Mediation,
17(9) Fair Share: The Matrimonial Law Monthly 5-7 (1997).
- Mediation in Divorce Cases: Two Views (with P. Gangel-Jacob),
Trial Magazine 43-44 (Aug. 1997).
- Preventing Future Conflict Through Legal Wellness Check-Ups,
Preventive Law Reporter 12-15 (Fall 1996).
- Unbundling Legal Services,
International Legal Practitioner 42-45 (June 1996).
- Preventive Mediation in Blended Families,
3(1) Dispute Resolution Magazine 16 (1996). American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section.
- The Client Library: Law Firm's Preventive Law Classroom,
Preventive Law Reporter (Fall 1995).
- Coaching the Pro Se Litigant,
American Bar Association Complete Lawyer 1-8 (Winter, 1995).
- Client Centered Consultation and ADR (with R.S. Redmount),
International Legal Practitioner 28-34 (Mar. 1995).
- Louis M. Brown: His Work in Preventive Law Receives Long Awaited Recognition,
Preventive Law Reporter 30-31 (June 1994).
- The Lawyer As Dispute Resolution Manager,
15(4) Family Law News and Review 5-8 (1994).
- Avoiding Trial in Family Law: ADR Options and Methods,
Los Angeles Lawyer 45-48 (Sept. 1993).
- The Case for a National Legal Health Strategy (with T.H. Gonser),
Preventive Law Reporter 31-32 (Summer 1993).
- Mediation and Prevention of Business Disputes,
Beverly Hills Bar Journal 105-008 (Summer 1993).
- Mediation Makes Sense: How to Prevent an International Crisis,
ABA Family Advocate 44-45 (Spring 1993).
- The Violent Family: Part II Intervention Strategies for the Family Lawyer (with N. Kaser-Boyd),
15(1) Family Law News 4-7 (1992).
- Lou Brown: Preventive Law and World Harmony,
Preventive Law Reporter 2-3 (Dec. 1991).
- The Violent Family: Psychological Dynamics and Their Effect on the Lawyer-Client Relationship (with N. Kaser-Boyd),
14(2) Family Law News 17, 28 (1991).
- The Duty to Explore Settlement: Beyond Garris v. Severson,
12(2) California State Bar Family Law News 25, 40-42 (1989).
- The Consulting Lawyer in Private Divorce Mediation: Sample Client Retainer Letter and Discussion,
10(3) LA County Bar Family Law News and Review 6-9 (1989).
- Preventive Planning in the Resolution of Dispute,
64 Denver Law Review 441-42 (1988).
- The Option of Private Family Law Mediation (with S.E. Wasserstrom),
Beverly Hills Bar Journal 118-22 (Spring 1987).
- How to Provide Legal Services to Middle Income Clients Profitably,
State Bar of California (1985).